Saturday, October 30, 2010

Where does Gluten Hide???

Gluten is a sneak................... and hides everywhere!
However we will not let this intimidate or stop us from enjoying life and MOST of the foods we enjoy.

I still can get tripped up and ingest gluten every now and then. Even though I have been GF for 5 yrs and 5 months.

I was enjoying a visit with my aunt in one of my favorite cities Seattle. I grabbed a bottle of organic, all natural balsamic vinaigrette to drizzle on my shrimp and avocado salad I had made for us. I'm enjoying my salad and my aunts company. I take a look at the bottle to check out the sugar content. Then scan the ingredient list and to my dismay I see soy sauce listed! Who puts soy sauce in balsamic dressing?! Evidently some people.

Many of you, especially my sister are probably rolling their eyes because if I would have just made my own like I usually do, this would not of been an issue. So point being, never assume a product is GF. I will repeat this point many times. I have made this mistake over and over. Sometimes because I assume, or I'm tired, a guest, at a party or for whatever reason.
ALWAYS read labels!
I usually do, but didnt take the time and paid the price in a couple of hours.

Condiments can be difficult. I have seen ketchup with gluten (usually not) but I have. Luckily not often and now you can find it HFCS free too. BBQ sauces, dressings, regular soy sauce, most prepackaged foods have gluten, unless otherwise noted. Most mustards(plain yellow) and mayo are safe.

If its creamy or gravy based more than likely it has gluten. Unless it has been thicken with only cornstarch or from a gf flour.

Most products that contain vinegar are safe. Except when you see the word "malt". Then step away and put it down. Malt vinegar most always means "barley malt". Remember no wheat rye or barley.

Nothing with "malt" listed as an ingredient.

This is one reason why its hard to eat out especially in the beginning. Who am I kidding it is still difficult!

Its not just  bread and pasta but also what your adding and topping your foods with. Another example, of which I have a many is french fries. Without addressing the cross contamination issue. You have to be aware of "seasoned" fries.  ALOT of dry rubs and season mixtures contain a flour as a binding agent! So  you must ask.

Unless its a clean and naked food or something you have prepared yourself, you must put your food detective hat on.
Again read and reread your labels. Rice Chex is now GF but when I first started it contained wheat flour!! So just because it sounds like it should be safe, doesnt make it so.

Don't get discouraged this is so worth the time and trouble, I promise.

Lets say good bye to a whole host of health issues and tummy troubles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment