Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gluten Free Traveling

Its been a crazy, busy 6 weeks. I was in Seattle for a few weeks. Then a grandfather passed and I was in NY and MA. I am finally back home and into my regular routine. Just like Dorothy said, there's no place like home!! I did have a gluten upset, even an experienced gf eater can get tripped up.

Being away from home and on the road is always somewhat daunting. Being prepared is important. While traveling I always carry gf items with me. Glutino pretzels, Think Thin Pnut Butter Protein Bars (20 grams of protein) nuts, fruit, cheese and Glutino crackers. While going through security at the airport I am wondering if they think I'm afraid I might starve to death, carrying all this food! But the gf choices can be few and far between. If you have time to sit and order a meal thats great but don't count on it.


While in MA, I was at a hotel that provided breakfast. Well, I knew there would be very little that I could eat.  The only thing that was safe, bananas and apples. They did have scrambled eggs, but in this situation I assume they are powdered eggs. And even if they were real eggs, the hotel looks to stretch the items to feed many, so who knows what kind of fillers are used. So I ate some fruit and a protein bar. Off to the funeral I go. Afterwards my Grandmother hosted a meal at her favorite Italian eatery. Yikes.... another meal to examine. I was able to have salad, fruit, cheese and some cold cuts.

Beware when eating cold cuts. Be sure it is REAL turkey, roast beef etc. Be careful with any  processed meats. As a matter of fact, just skip them. I was at a party right before I left for MA and had a few bites of Amish trail bologna. I spent the next 24 hrs sick, sick, sick.

A note about cheese..... be sure its just plain cheese. SOME blue cheeses are not safe. Any cheese spreads should be skipped if you cant ask about content.

So preparation is key when traveling. Its always a little scary and I always worry about getting sick. So I carry my maalox and imodium, always!

No comments:

Post a Comment